Friday, October 23, 2009

It's here. And more on the Book Awards.














So here they are: photos of an actual copy of Magpie Hall, due to be released here in NZ on November 6. I was ridiculously excited to receive it, just as Vanda Symon was to get hers (both with hands on the covers - spooky). I carried it around with me all day and kept looking at it, much as I might stare at the wonder of a newborn baby. There's that comparison again.

The publicity machine is in motion. This week's Listener has an interview with me, and the Sunday Star Times will tomorrow be running a 1000-word extract to give people a taste of the book over the long weekend. I will put up links if and when they appear.

After the strange silence surrounding the announcement that the new look New Zealand Book Awards would carry a shortlist of only three fiction titles, which I blogged about last time, Bookman Beattie finally brought it up on his blog and a good number of people weighed in on the argument against such a small shortlist. You can read the comments here, and add your own if you can, since I don't know that the right people are reading this blog and its attached comments. The story has been picked up by the Dominion Post. I hope the powers that be don't dig their heels in for the sake of it and listen to what people have to say.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

the book looks soooo sexy Rachael, congratulations! Hope you post your interviews on the blog so we can read them across the ditch. Am trying to get my local to order Magpie Hall for me, though not sure how they are getting on...

Again, congratulations!

Pen said...

It looks awesome! Congrats. thrilled for you. I found a copy of the Sound of Butterflies in my library the other day (I love the title it sticks in your head). I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to read the new one next. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I am a total sucker for a beautiful book cover and Magpie Hall is just stunning. It will look very pretty on my bookshelf - next to The Sound of Butterflies, obviously!

Many congratulations, Rachael.

Damon Young said...

Looks excellent, Rachael - best of luck. I'll pick up a copy when it arrives in Australia.

Also, can you drop me a line on email, please?

Unknown said...

Book looks great. The hand almost appears like it is in 3D.

Looking forward to picking up the book from an Independent :)

Mary McCallum said...

The excerpt of Magpie Hall in the SST gave me goosebumps, Rachael - how wonderful to think the prick of a tattooist's needle is an addictive thing. Some gorgeous compelling detail in there of a world unknown to me. I can't wait to read the rest.

Andrea Eames said...

Eee! How exciting. I love the back cover, too.

Vanda Symon said...

I can just picture you patting it and carrying it around, fanning the pages and smelling it! Fabulous feeling.

I love what they've done with the back, it looks as delicious as the front.

Maybe we're starting a hand trend...

Rachel Fenton said...

You've upped the benchmark for great covers now! Looking forward to reading it.
But Vanda - "starting a hand trend..." sounds well dodgy! ;)

Congrats, Rachael.

Vanda Symon said...

I write crime fiction - I am dodgy!

Simon Berry said...

I have just (10 minutes ago) finished "Magpie Hall" and enjoyed it so much I felt moved to let you know - so here I am. (The last time I felt like that was on completing your late, great dad's history book.) A great effort - in my view , even better than "The Sound of Butterflies", which was also great. Can't wait for the next one. (No pressure!)

Congratulations and best wishes,

Simon Berry